Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Been a While....

Well like always I have neglected my blog but as it gets closer to me organizing my first solo show I have decided to devote more time to letting people know what's going on in my art life. First thing I'll say is that I just recently launched my KickStarter which you can check out HERE... This will allow me to organize my show. To Everyone who has already backed me, Thank You and I hope you enjoy watching the process of my work come together! And everyone else too!

Within my over all series (Artifice/Artifact) I plan to have several sub-series and then there will be one video installation. The first sub-series which I have been working on is a more abstracted series and the images you will see below are illustrative of this.

 To start the process of creating these types of works I start by making my own masks. Over the past seven months I have been researching masks and looking at images from all around the world. I used a lot of this inspiration to fuse together traditional ideas with more futuristic design.
Then once I construct the mask I photograph myself moving in them to get a sense of movement and just to see the mask from different angles. I then began to break down the image through series of drawings, each time getting more and more abstract. I then reconstruct the drawings into new forms.

Some of the abstract series incorporates screen printing which will probably pop up in some of the other sub-series as well. I also enjoy working in a very layered process, often painting over and repainting three-four times. Once I mostly complete this series I will move on to the next sub-series then come back and finish up nay loose ends after I have had some time to step back and get a fresh view.

The next sub-series is my natural/nature series and will be more figurative. Expect to start seeing in progress photos from that next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment